Operating a Man and Van Removals company based in Cambridge means we get a fair share of office removals coming our way.
Cambridge is at the heart of what is known as ‘Silicon Fen’, and that means Cambridge is full of bio-tech, software and electronics companies who all seem to need office removals services at some point in time.
We have lost count how many businesses we have helped move over the years, some small, some large, but all happy at the end of the move!
Here are some tips to help you with your office move.
Cambridge Office Removals Tips
1. Unless you have a very small business you run from home, get the professionals in. Don’t put your staff through the stress of doing something they haven’t been trained to do and don’t put yourself through the stress of feeling like it’s all about to go wrong!
2. Understand that an office move is going to costs you some money, it doesn’t have to cost the earth, but the piece of mind that comes with hiring a professional office removals company is worth the money.
3. For companies with several members of staff, assign at least one team member to head the office relocation project. Get them to create a timetable of events and hold regular meetings to ensure everything is going to plan.
4. Find a local Office Removals Company, ask around business contacts to see if they can recommend anyone, if you are in a shared building ask the front of house staff if they can recommend a removals company and get at least 3 quotes to compare prices. When comparing prices, ensure you are comparing ‘like for like’ quotes, as some quotes might appear good value for money but might not include the same level of service as other quotes.
5. Everything will need to be packed which can either be assigned to your staff or your removals company should be able to offer a packing service. If you choose to do some or all of the packing yourself make sure you use good quality removals boxes. For an office move we recommend using removal crates to pack items in as office paperwork and equipment if often very heavy and fragile.
6. Moving offices is often a good time to declutter those items you no longer need. Set aside all the items you don’t want to take to your new premises and ask your removals company to remove them for you. This can be done before or after your move.
7. Get staff to label boxes containing their own items.
8. Prepare an office move plan giving a seating plan and desk layout, location of filing cabinets and IT equipment in the new office. Ensure every staff member and removals person has one a plan to stop people continually asking you where items need to go.
9. Hire an IT expert for the day. It might sound costly but for a large office with lots of different pieces of IT equipment to install it could save a lot of time and stress and could ensure you are back to work without delays and disruptions to your service or customers.
10. As with any major project, the key is in the planning, plan your move well in advance and don’t leave anything to last minute. We hope to have an ‘Office Move Planner’ going online soon which we will let all our followers know about as soon as its available.
About the author
Jon Lamming writes on various topics about Cambridge Man and Van removal services, house clearance, storage and packing. Here he writes about office removals planning. Besides writing for blogs Jon enjoys surfing all over the world, Thai Boxing and riding his motorbike. The most important things in the world to Jon are his lovely Polish wife Magda and his two girls, Emily and Olivia. www.cambridgevanman.co.uk